The Kathy King Memorial Scholarship Fund
Transitioning from high school to college can be a very difficult time for students as they experience many changes in their lives; moving to a new area, being accountable for their own schedules and activities, missing family and friends, and managing the pressure of academic performance. Additionally, living expenses can add up quickly and cost thousands of dollars each year. While JA Academy students typically do very well in receiving scholarship funding, that money is generally allotted for tuition and course work. Traditional scholarships do not usually cover transportation, food, books and other miscellaneous living expenses. Therefore, to help ease the financial burden for graduating students and alleviate some of the stress they face venturing away from home, college bound seniors are eligible to receive the Kathy King Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship provides money for non-tuition related expenses as students move into their new roles as college freshmen.
Junior Achievement of Central Florida and the JA Academy recognizes two students each year who have closely adhered to the Academy Core Tenets for the Kathy King Memorial Scholarship. Recipients of the award specifically exemplify the following areas:
- Academic Compliance (including meeting attendance and punctuality standards)
- Seeking opportunities to improve oneself and ways to support the JA Academy
- Setting an example for JA Academy underclassmen
This scholarship is in celebration and honor of the life of an influential leader and entrepreneur, Kathy King, former Vice President of Education of Junior Achievement of Central Florida. Kathy transformed JACF through her passion for student success, business and community partnerships, and innovation, which influenced hundreds of thousands of K-12 students throughout Central Florida. Her greatest testament to the mission of Junior Achievement resulted in the nation's first ever JA Academy for Leadership & Entrepreneurship located at Oak Ridge High School in Orlando, Florida. Kathy King made it her mission to change the lives of countless students and inspired them to be greater than even they thought possible.
The JA Academy for Leadership & Entrepreneurship Core Tenets:
- Ethics: doing what is right and living by rules and standards of honest behavior and decision making
- Entrepreneurship: being curious, wanting to explore and learn, willing to take reasonable risks, and aspiring to build a business or innovative new ideas within an established business
- Personal Responsibility: accepting one's role in any enterprise or activity, carrying it out faithfully and competently, self-evaluating to improve performance or behavior, and being accountable for all that one strives to do or be
- Leadership: recognizing that leading must be principle-centered and focused on serving the needs and interests of others and raising the values of all
- Career Exploration: learning what work opportunities abound in all areas of study
- Social Responsibility: knowing the world's survival depends on everyone caring about needs outside of our own and reaching out for the betterment of others
- Democracy: understanding the important role that representative government plays in the quality of life and living of people
- Free Enterprise: learning about a system that feeds the entrepreneurial spirit and generates profits and wealth and makes possible high quality governmental services
Junior Achievement of Central Florida is seeking to endow this scholarship to honor the memory of our friend and colleague, Kathy King. Please consider making a donation today.
Junior Achievement of Central Florida, Inc. is a not for profit corporation organized under 501(C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions to Junior Achievement of Central Florida/Kathy King Memorial Fund may be tax deductible; consult your tax advisor for details.