Innovative | Bold | Relevant
JA BizTown is all that, and more. This financial literacy laboratory exists to inspire and prepare youth to succeed. There is no question about it: Financial literacy and sound money management skills are essential to success. Today more than ever, young adults need a strong foundation for making intelligent, lifelong, personal financial decisions.
To improve the financial literacy of our future business leaders and employees, Junior Achievement has created an exciting reality-based learning environment for middle and high school students.
JA BizTown allows middle and high-school grade students to see, touch, and live the experience of personal finance in a real-life setting of stores, shops, and financial institutions, by basically becoming "an adult for the day."
The goal of JA BizTown is to:
- Teach students to develop and follow a monthly budget
- Help students to research and understand the actual "costs of living" for the basic necessities of life
- Encourage students to develop and demonstrate personal responsibility for learning and self-management
- Communicate and work with schools to promote the highest level of student achievement
- Challenge students to think critically, creatively, analyze tasks, and solve problems
At JA BizTown, students are given a unique life profile after answering a series of future life-style questions. Their life profile includes an income, marital status, even kids! Using this new adult persona, students work to create a balanced monthly budget while making decisions regarding housing, transportation, insurance, savings, entertainment expenses and much more.
How You Can Participate
Volunteers are needed to mentor small groups of students throughout their day at JA BizTown. No special budgeting expertise or preparation is necessary and thorough training is provided for all volunteers!
Need More Information?
To learn more, please contact Dawn Watson or call at (317) 252-5900 Ext. 3.
Watch How a JA BizTown Works!