POSITION TITLE: Chief of Staff
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
SUBMIT COVER LETTER & RESUME TO: email@example.com
ABOUT JUNIOR ACHIEVEMENT
Junior Achievement's mission is to inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy. JA is the world's largest organization dedicated to educating young people on financial literacy, workforce readiness and entrepreneurship through programs taught by trained corporate or community volunteers in schools, and at after-school sites throughout the world.
Junior Achievement of Northern New England is strategically focused on making the biggest impact possible by partnering with school districts, cities and towns to serve students throughout their Kindergarten to 12th grade education. For the 2017-2018 school year, JAofNNE reached 21,611 youth through the efforts of 1,404 trained volunteers throughout Central and Eastern Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Junior Achievement of Northern New England has experienced significant growth in the past three years and is embarking in a strategic planning process that will set its direction for increased impact for years to come.
CORPORATE CULTURE STATEMENT
We hire the best people, not just the best talent. We work together as ONE team to deliver our mission. We treat each other with respect, communicate clearly, value diverse opinions and challenge the status quo on our quest for continuous improvement. We value our people and offer them competitive compensation/benefits, schedule flexibility and purposeful professional/personal development opportunities. We treat all our stakeholders as important contributors to our ultimate goal of delivering on our mission to inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy.
The Chief of Staff (CoS) provides strategic, operational and administrative support to the CEO and the Management Team. She/he plays a vital role in Junior Achievement's success by maximizing the CEO's time to best achieve the organization's goal. A member of the Management Team, the CoS manages important administrative tasks to allow the CEO to focus on strategy and being the organization's chief steward in the community. The CoS project-manages key marketing/branding tasks to free up the Director of Development to spend more time fundraising. She/he helps the Management Team identify/prioritize/implement key strategic initiatives that will improve operational excellence across the organization. The CoS plays a critical role in fostering a vibrant, healthy and inclusive culture within the organization, balancing ambitious impact goals with accountability and people development.
The CoS manages a rapid flow of work, handling many tasks daily spanning multiple projects. She/he ensures that external communications are of the highest quality. The Chief of Staff must be extremely personable with internal and external constituents, demonstrating exceptional judgment and discretion. This is an exciting opportunity for someone eager to leverage their strategic, project management and relationship cultivation skills to help Junior Achievement amplify its impact on the region's youth.
Leverage & Support CEO (50%)
• Serve as strategic partner to CEO to help translate his vision into action
• Leverage CEO's time as chief strategist and mission steward internally and externally
• Oversee development and implementation of strategic and annual operational plans
• Manage staff meetings, retreats and development plans and trainings to ensure key goals are achieved
• Act as liaison between CEO and the board of directors, including board/committee meeting preparation, record minutes and ensure key action items are completed in a timely manner
• Prepare CEO for all external meetings and keep him accountable on his external commitments
Leverage & Support Management Team (25%)
• Plan and manage regular management team meetings to discuss key strategic matters and ensure accountability of key action items identified
• Work with the management team to identify/prioritize/implement key operational and strategic initiatives to increase operational excellence across the organization
Marketing & Branding (25%)
• Work with CEO, Director of Development and Director of Programs to identify key marketing/branding priorities and project-manage their implementation
• Oversee execution of external communications including website, e-newsletters, social media strategy and annual impact report
• Supervise the creation and updates of collateral including program overviews, development materials and special event program books/signage
• Serve as liaison to board's marketing committee
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
• 7+ years of professional experience with ability to work proactively and independently in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously leading multiple projects and effectively prioritizing time and tasks
• Strong mission-alignment and passion for empowering young people to succeed
• Strong aptitude for relationship management across all levels of the organization; high degree of organizational astuteness and leadership skills
• Leads with humility, and learns and grows from mistakes; willingness to participate in and contribute to a real-time feedback culture
• Exceptional oral and written communications skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail
• Exceptionally reliable with a high level of maturity and sound judgment
• Strong command of Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word, EXCEL, and PowerPoint
• Knowledge and experience with a CRM system, preferably Blackbaud (e.g. Raiser's Edge)
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an "at-will" relationship.