How We Started
Better Stewardship Through Consolidation
November of 2001, the Boards of Directors of Junior Achievement of Dayton & Miami Valley, Greater Butler County, and Greater Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky voted unanimously to migrate toward consolidation of all three organizations, with the guiding principle of reaching more students in more effective ways. A special Task Force on Consolidation, with representatives from each area, worked to make recommendations to complete the process by April of 2002, with final approval from the Members of the Corporations of each organization occurring on May 30, 2002.
While local service and autonomy will be maintained, the reduction in expenses through the blending of backroom operations coupled with the increased effectiveness through the realignment of staff will result in a conservatively estimated annual positive financial impact of $468,158 by the fourth year of operation – that equates to more than 22,000 kids!
The increased size and scope of the new organization will also provide for staff professional development and leadership succession planning. At the same time, the overall staff efficiencies gained will enable us to reach approximately 5,000 students per full-time equivalent staff member, compared to a national average of 2,883 per FTE. Additionally, our cost per student has been reduced well below the national average.
Pre-Consolidation JA History
Greater Butler County
Junior Achievement of Greater Butler County, Inc. began operating in 1954, serving Hamilton, Fairfield, Oxford and West Chester. The Junior Chamber of Commerce had adopted JA as a national project and in 1953 the local chapter began a series of meetings to discuss establishing a JA program in Hamilton. Ultimately, incorporation papers were prepared by attorney Harry Wilks. Other trustees whose names appear on the document include William Becket, Robert Paxton, and Robert Shute. Two hundred twenty-five kids were enrolled the first year. In 1998 Junior Achievement of Hamilton officially changed its name to Junior Achievement of Greater Butler County, Inc., in order to be reflective of the service area. At the time of consolidation, the chapter involved 7,000 students annually.
Greater Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky
Junior Achievement of Greater Cincinnati & Northern Kentucky had a 51-year history of "showing students how business works." Founding Fathers C. M. Turner, Reuben B. Hays, and Irvin F. Westheimer signed the Articles of Incorporation on November 29, 1951. Since then, over 500,000 students have been enrolled in this area's programs, evolving from a few evening high school programs to thousands of in-school classes being taught in grades K-12 throughout eighteen counties in Southwestern Ohio, Northern Kentucky, and Southeastern Indiana. At the time of consolidation, the chapter involved 42,000 students annually.
Dayton & Miami Valley
Junior Achievement of Dayton and Miami Valley, Inc. has been exposing young people to innovative thinking and practical experience since it was chartered in June 1944. Even before it was officially organized in Dayton, local business leaders were forming the groundwork for a JA organization in the community. In the early 1900s, John H. Patterson and his daughter, Dorothy, organized the Boys' Box Lumber Company and Boys' Gardens to help children learn business concepts. At the same time, NCR's Colonel E.A. Deeds' son formed the Juvenile Manufacturing Company. The company produced wood products in their own manufacturing facility. Under the guidance of Patterson, classroom business laboratories, similar to those of the present JA Company Program, flourished at Moraine Park School. In addition, Charles F. Kettering was a member of the Board of Directors and actively shaped and supported the goals of JA in Dayton. In 1968, Junior Achievement of Dayton developed the in-class or business laboratory concept in which the learning experiences of the program are incorporated into the classroom curriculum. This concept was later to be a foundation of Junior Achievement's in-school programs. At the time of consolidation, the chapter involved 16,000 students annually.