About Our Office
Since 1919, Junior Achievement's purpose has been to educate and inspire young people to value free enterprise and understand business and economics to improve the quality of their lives.
Junior Achievement is the world's largest and fastest-growing non-profit economic education organization. Our programs are taught by classroom volunteers from the business community in your area across America and in over 103 countries worldwide.
Junior Achievement is a volunteer driven, non-profit organization. This year more than 2,000 business professionals, parents, retirees and college students will enter our schools to teach Junior Achievement programs. These volunteers use their personal experiences to make the Junior Achievement curricula practical and realistic. Providing children with positive adult role models, who illustrate ways to build self-confidence, develop skills and find avenues of success in our free enterprise system, is a hallmark of Junior Achievment.
Junior Achievement of the Tri-Cities TN/VA is a nationally accredited JA area.
How We Started
Since Junior Achievement was chartered in the Kingsport area in 1966, JA business and industry volunteers have shared the "economics of life" with thousands of young people - tomorrow's entrepreneurs, citizens, and community leaders. Private enterprise has no better ambassador than Junior Achievement of Tri-Cities TN/VA.
From the mid 60's until the early 90's, Junior Achievement's presence in the region was known by a successful "Night Time" program. High school students met with business/industry volunteers to learn the basics of business operation. Companies were formed, officers were elected, and stock was sold. Products were produced, marketed, and sold by students. Income vs. expense was calculated for the bottom line profit to be reported to the shareholders.
Since the early 90's, Junior Achievement has evolved from a high school program to in-school programs that serve grades kindergarten through high school. We also have become a regional organization, seeking to reach kids in grades K-12 in 14 counties of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Fast Facts About Junior Achievement of Tri-Cities TN/VA
- 11,538 K-12 students received tools to help them own their financial sucess and prepare for the future.
- 501 classrooms throughout our region were presented with Junior Achievement program materials by regional businesspeople and community volunteers.
- Operated in Greene (City of Greeneville and Greeneville County), Hawkins, Sullivan (City of Kingsport, Sullivan County, and Bristol, TN ), Washington County, TN, Carter County and Unicoi County in Tennessee, as well as Scott and Washington (City of Bristol, VA) counties in Virginia.
- Governed by the Regional Corporate Board with Boards of Directors in Bristol, Greeneville, Johnson City, and Kingsport. Staff includes President, Program Manager, Office Assistant, and Special Events/Program Support.
- Area includes un-served counties of Johnson, Buchanan, Dickenson, Lee, Russell, and Wise in Virginia.
- Partners with area businesses to provide the Junior Achievement Business Hall of Fame.