Schedule of Events
- Morning (9-11:30): JA Titan Challenge Competition
- Lunch (11:45): All students, educators, sponsors, community members.
- Keynote Topic: The Art and Science of Getting Hired
- Afternoon (12:50-2:45): Titan Championship Round, Getting Hired Skills, Innovation Gallery Tour
The JA Titan and 21st Century Skills Challenge will provide the following experiences for high school students in Spartanburg and Greenville counties.
JA Titan Challenge
- 100+ students in teams of 2-4 will apply learned business concepts during a competitive virtual simulation to make decisions that affect a company's bottom line.
- The competition is uniquely designed to unleash student creativity, test leadership skills, necessitate collaboration, critical thinking and individual and group decision-making, as well as to demonstrate the competitive nature of the free enterprise system.
- Skills learned:
- Developing corporate budgets
- Interpreting and analyzing financial reports
- Working knowledge of pricing, production, capital investments, research and development, marketing, charitable giving
- Benefits to students:
- Scholarships for post-secondary education or training awarded to the top three teams.
- Invitation to compete in the national competition awarded to the top two teams.
- Application of classroom learning to "real-life"
Get Ready, Get Set, Get Hired!
Approximately 80 of the JA Titan Challenge 50 students from other high schools will participate in interactive, practical workshops designed to build 21st century skills needed to find, get, and keep a job that will provide economic stability. In addition, all students will have the opportunity to tour the Milliken Innovation Gallery guided by Milliken employees.
- Skills focus areas:
- Guided Tour of Milliken Innovation Gallery
- One-on-one interview lessons with local employers and staffing agencies
- Workshop designed to prepare young people to get hired
- Workshop facilitators and interviewers will be from Upstate businesses
JA Titan 2018 Documents
OVERVIEW & SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION
FOR EDUCATORS & STUDENTS
"Junior Achievement has given me a sense of what adults go through with budget issues."
"Junior Achievement reinforced concepts for me to remember later in life."
"I thought the experience was amazing. The presentation was unlike anything I've seen."
"I liked how the Junior Achievement volunteer explained his job to us."