JUNIOR ACHIEVEMENT'S PURPOSE AND VALUES
Junior Achievement's Purpose is to inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy.
The envisioned future - what we aspire to become. Junior Achievement maintains an active vision, front and center, on how we can have a positive impact on the lives of more students - guided by our core values:
- Belief in the boundless potential of young people
- Commitment to the principles of market-based economics and entrepreneurship
- Passion for what we do and honesty, integrity, and excellence in how we do it
- Respect for the talents, creativity, perspectives, and backgrounds of all individuals
- Belief in the power of partnership and collaboration
- Conviction in the educational and motivational impact of relevant, hands-on learning
Junior Achievement Facts
JA of Western Pennsylvania History
- 1948 - JA began to expand its presence outside of Pittsburgh and established outposts in Westmoreland, Washington and Butler Counties.
- 1955 - JA expanded again in several communities in Southwest PA and changed its name to Junior Achievement of Southwestern PA.
- 1989 - JASWPA merged with the JA of the Alleghenies chapter serving the Johnstown-Altoona area.
- 2004 - JASWPA began a pilot program in Erie County, and in 2006, JASWPA officially became Junior Achievement of Western Pennsylvania.
- 2016 - JAWPA annexed the northern counties of West Virginia bringing the total service territory to include 32 counties in Pennsylvania and 18 counties in West Virginia.
In 2020, JAWPA opened JA BizTown®, a fully-interactive community simulation that brings to life the business and other elements of what make day-to-day life successful in our cities and towns. After 9 hours of curriculum, students in grades four through six visit the 10,000 square foot mini-city located in South Fayette Township where they connect what they learned in school with the realities of the business world and everyday life.
JA of Western Pennsylvania Team
JA President, Patrice Matamoros, is committed to working hard to empower our youth.
Our staff is committed to make your experience working with us absolutely the best!
Our Board Members includes the finest business and individual leaders in our community.
Young Professionals BOARD
Advances JA's mission by supporting Pittsburgh's young professionals.
More About Junior Achievement
Financials AND Annual Reports
We've consistently received high grades for accountability and transparency.
Join us on our mission to empower youth and create robust communities.
Schools We Serve
Schools we have partnered with in the past year.
Diversity Statement: Junior Achievement is the recognized leader in "empowering young people to own their economic success®" through volunteer-led, experiential learning. We are dedicated to providing a positive, enriching learning experience free of bias. Junior Achievement welcomes K-12 students, volunteers and potential staff regardless of race, religion, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected characteristic.
"Junior Achievement has given me a sense of what adults go through with budget issues."
"Junior Achievement reinforced concepts for me to remember later in life."
"I thought the experience was amazing. The presentation was unlike anything I've seen."
"I liked how the Junior Achievement volunteer explained his job to us."