Elementary school students aren't old enough to drive, work, vote or be the boss. At JA BizTown they are! Students operate a bank, restaurant, city hall, newspaper, retail store and 10 other businesses. JA BizTown® combines in-class learning with a day-long visit to a fully interactive, simulated town. Students leave understanding the relationship between what they learn in school and their participation in a local economy.
JA BizTown is correlated to Common Core Standards and Wisconsin Model Academic Standards. JA BizTown is proven to advance students' knowledge, skill, attitude, and achievement.
- Goods and services
- Producers and consumers
- Supply and demand
- Opportunity costs
- Spending and saving
- Financial institutions and banking concepts
- Write a resume
- Apply for jobs
- Produce goods and services
- Spend money
- Become part of a business team and create a business plan
JA BizTown Highlights:
- Designed to support differentiated learning styles and abilities
- Real-life, interactive simulation
- Partnership between schools, parents and the business community
- Memorable educational experience
- Extended learning opportunities
- Active, rather than passive learning
- Real, rather than imagined experiences
- Turn-key classroom program and materials
- created with teacher input and provided by JA
- Teacher training and professional development
- Classroom learning combined with a full-day simulation in a state-of-the art immersive learning center
- Aligned to Common Core Standards and Wisconsin Model Academic Standards
JA BizTown Works!
Volunteers Roles and Responsibilities
- 17 – 20 volunteers are needed each day
- Volunteers work with 6 – 12 students
- Volunteers receive training (provided by JA) that will prepare them for the experience
- Volunteer training is held 1 hour prior to student arrival. Training starts at 8:30am.
- Student simulation begins at 9:30am and concludes by around 2:00pm.
- Work with students and teachers in ways that are positive, meaningful, and productive.
- You have a chance to increase young people's knowledge about careers, work day experiences, personal finance, and values.
Please contact (414) 577-3800 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested!
Participating teachers and students, please click here for the JA BizTown pre/post test.